Sunday, May 22

La Playa, a.k.a. Heaven

 


We spent the next two days at the beach.  I love the beach.  Love it. 

On Friday we went to this private beach that was pretty tiny, but so pretty.  And don’t be fooled by the word “private” because there was a ton of people there. 


On the way to Huatulco we decided that snorkeling was a must so that is the first thing we did.  It was so cool!  Apparently it wasn’t that great of a snorkeling experience (spoken by those with more experience than I), but since I had never done it, I thought it was awesome.  We could see everything under the water.  The coral at the bottom was crazy.  There was this group of tiny fish and the guy who was leading us would knock two pieces of coral together and the all the fish would swim over to it.  It was cool.  And they were so close to us that we could touch them.  There were also huge groups of bigger fish that would swim in unison like you see on TV/Finding Nemo, but it was real life so it was a thousand times better.  There were these little blue fish that were like neon.  They were so bright.  There was a squid thing crawling along the bottom.  It was just awesome because it was what I have always seen on TV, but I was actually in the middle of it.  So cool.

But then I started getting sick.  It was so lame because I NEVER get motion sickness.  I can ride any ride, or drive for as long as is necessary and never feel a thing.  But for some reason, snorkeling made me seriously sick.  I think it was because I was so hot and I had swallowed a lot of salt water.  So Megan, Emily, and I went back to the beach.  If I had been out there any longer, I would have definitely barfed. 

Anyway, we just chilled the rest of the day on the beach.  We played in the water and slept on the sand, and watched the other people. 

It was Heaven I tell you.


That night, we had cereal for dinner and then went to a movie.  We were going to see Rio, which I didn’t really want to do since I had just seen it the week before and I couldn’t understand what it was saying anyway, but then the worker guy came up to us and said they were showing Little Red Riding Hood in English.  So half of the group decided to leave the Rio movie and enjoy some Englishness.

But guess what.  Little Red Riding Hood?  Worst.  Movie.  Ever.

Not even joking.  It was so weird.  The whole time I was like, “Are you serious? Is this really happening?”  When it was over, we all just looked at each other in shock.   And then we made fun of it all the way home and it was hilarious.

Day one of the beach:  Over.

Day two:  It started off with shopping.  We went to a market that had everything you could think of.  I bought a bunch of stuff for other people (like my family, you know), but nothing for me.  And by the way, I hate bartering.  It’s so annoying.  Why can’t these people just be normal and do a normal price that the customer and the worker will be happy with and when they say that’s the price, then that’s the price and we don’t have to argue about it?  Because really, it gets annoying.  Whatev.

Then we went to beach number two.  It had its pros and cons compared to the beach before.

Pros:
It was empty.  I much prefer empty beaches.  It was just us doing our thing, all alone, with the ocean and the waves, and it was awesome.  Also, it was prettier.  And the waves were bigger so we could boogie board and what not.


Cons:
The waves were bigger so you couldn’t just chill in the water and float up and down with the mini waves, which is what I prefer to do.  Also, the water was really sandy.  If you sat on the beach and got sand all over you, you couldn’t just go out into the water to rinse off because you would come back more sandy than you started.  So that was kind of annoying.  But other than that, it was fabulous. 



That night we went out to dinner.  I think the place we went to was like trying to be slightly American or something.  It was weird.  They even had, “We love our American tourists” written on their wall.  Their menu was in Spanish and English, and their food was like half Mexican, half American and it was gross.  We should have found a legitimately Mexican restaurant.  It wouldn’t have been that hard considering we are in the middle of Mexico.

Oh, but before dinner, there was a parade!  It was cool.  There were floats and sirens and girls in dresses (and girls in a lot less than that), and candy was thrown left and right, just like American parades.

The rest of the night was spent in our hotel just doing whatever.  The next morning we left for home and officially labeled our first vacation Over.

It was a good one.

*By the way, thank you thank you thank you to everyone for your comments and support!  I’m glad this blog is being put to good use. 

2 comments:

  1. Brittan!
    I love reading this, it is SO awesome to hear all your stories. I look forward to it like everyday. I especially like it, cuz I don't have to sit around thinking...I wonder how Brittan is doing, and if she has any cool stories? I just get to read it! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittan
    I love your blog, what a great way to share it all with those of us who wanted to know all about it. You are so brave to do this but it will be the beginning of many wonderful adventures in you life. I love you

    ReplyDelete