Monday, May 16

The Living Quarters

Now that I’ve introduced you to the fam, let me tell you about my first evening with them.  I arrived at the house for the first time at about 4 p.m. on Sunday, May 1.  We brought my bags up to my room, and let me just say, my room is freaking awesome.



These are the beautiful stairs that lead to my room.  I'm at the top of them of course.  So when I turn to my left from taking the picture above, I see this:


And if I take one step in the room and turn left, I see this:



And if I turn 180 degrees from this angle, I see the following:



The door you see above, leads to my own personal bathroom, that looks like this:


If you look directly out that bathroom window, you behold this awesomeness:


Remember that third picture, of the door that leads out to the roof?  Well if you walk out onto the roof and look out, this is one thing you might see:


And then if you turn around, you will see the house that looks like so:


The stairs you see to the left lead to a little loft thing where two dogs live. 

Isn't that great?  I haven't had my own room in a year!  So it's all good.

Then I was fed my first home-cooked Mexican meal.  It consisted of some meat type thing, red rice, and tortillas.  As soon as they put it in front of me, I thought to myself, “This looks exactly like what Beca would feed me.  She is Mexican after all.”  It was good, but there was so much of it so I thought I might explode when I was done.  Luckily, I didn’t

While I was eating, Elvira said to me, “We are going to the movies tonight.  Do you want to come?” 

Heck yes.

So we went.  Oh, and don’t judge.  I didn’t even notice it was a Sunday until we had already bought the tickets, but either way, I have to spend my Sundays different here in Mexico with my Mexican family, so whatev.

Anyway, the whole way to the movie, Miguel was telling me stories and things, and then we got there and looked at all the movie posters and talked about what movies we like.  Then we made up a hand shake.  Seriously, he is the funnest kid.  After buying the movies tickets, we went to the treat stand, or “Dulceria.”  They bought huge things of popcorn, huge drinks, nachos, and hotdogs.  Oh, and candy.  It was crazy.  And then guess what they did!  They put hot sauce stuff all over their popcorn, just like Beca.  Again, I thought, “Wow!  They actually do this here.  Beca was not insane.”

Then we went into the theater to wait for the movie to start.  You know what’s weird?  For the last few weeks of my American life, I would hear Mexican music and be like, “This is my future.”  But guess what.  They listen to a ton of American music here.  They played the same five songs over and over in the theater, and Miguel could sing all of them.  And he doesn’t even speak English.  That’s the weird thing to me.  All these Mexican kids that don’t speak English can sing songs in English.  I can’t sing songs in Spanish!  Anyway, waiting for the movie to start was the best part of the whole movie, because we were singing, and talking, and learning/teaching each other English/Spanish, and it was just awesome.

And thus I watched my first movie in Mexico.  It was “Rio.”  And it was all in Spanish.  But I got the jist.

And thus went my first evening with mi familia.

5 comments:

  1. Brittan!!!! I love you so much! I was pretty much busting up through this entire post :D I hope you are doing amazing! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have two words for you...digestive enzymes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your attitude, you are so optimistic and funny too. Thank you for sharing. I know more about you know than I have for a long time. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your mothers comment.. I agree! I know a couple people, well, one went to mexico the other brazil.. but! the one who went to mexico was in Oaxaca on his mission and said they sometimes barely made it to the potty.. haha if you know what I mean. He also said it wasn't uncommon to have the runs and be constipated at the same time.. It sounds horrible & gross. I am sorry for sharing, well I guess I am not that sorry for sharing or else I wouldn't of said it.. well, I guess just excuse me for being unpleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. kay, I am kidding... I think he might of been in Huatulco.. I know it was one of the two. Cause when he told me the first thought that went through my head was, "MY COUSIN IS THERE!!! WELL, NO. NOT THERE, BUT WENT THERE! I KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT"

    ReplyDelete