Friday, June 10

28

That's the number of days I have taught as of 7:30 this evening.  I cannot believe it.

And how did my 28th day go, you might ask?  Oh kind of like this:


That picture was taken by this adorable little boy, Adrian:


 Can you believe I get to teach these kids every single day?

It is so fun.  I love that everyday I walk into class with my books and my bag and write my sentences on the board.  And then my students come in and say, "Hi Teacher!"  And then they sit down and correct the sentences so eagerly.  When I ask them to help me correct them on the board, they all frantically raise their hands, "ME TEACHER! ME! ME! YOU NEED A QUESTION MARK!!"  I love it.

I love when I teach them something new and their eyes light up and their brains expand and they smile like there is nothing better.  Because guess what.  There is nothing better.

I love to hear them speak English to each other.  I know that probably sounds weird, but it's true.  I think it is awesome that they can all communicate with each other in a language totally different from their own.

I love that I can tell them jokes and they actually understand.  And I LOVE to hear them laugh.

A couple days ago Jill caught a freakishly huge, disgusting, scary spider in an upstairs closet drawer.  She put it in a yellow container and we left it there all night.  Then yesterday, I was bringing my kiddos in to start class, and we saw the yellow container, still containing the spider.  But the spider seriously looked nearly dead.  It just curled up its legs and let itself be thrown around as I shook the box.  I said, "I think its almost dead."  So Rico said, "Let me see."  He took it from my hand, shook it around, decided I was right, and just let go.  He let it fall freely from his hand.  Fall.  Freely.  With a freakishly huge, disgusting, scary, probably deadly poisonous spider inside.  What the crap?!

And of course, the spider was fully alive.  It was only "lying" as Sara later called it.  So as soon as the lid popped off, it RAN out of the container, and under the couch.  I screamed.  For real.  Loud and long.  Rico and Jesús pretty much died of laughter.  They reenacted my scream about seven thousand times and they laughed harder than I have ever heard them laugh.  I loved it.

Today it rained.  The thunder was loud and the drops were big.  When class was over, we had to house all the kids in the living room to wait for their parents to pick them up.  I was sitting on a chair in the middle of the room, with Adrian rubbing his hands all over my hair, when he randomly decided to suffocate me.  So I made it into this big scene.  I would struggle my hardest to pull his hands away and at the last second I would succeed and then GASP for air like I was about to die.  Then he would do the cutest giggle I have ever heard because he thought it was the funniest thing ever, and we would start the whole thing over.  It was hilarious.  Then Rico decided to join in and help his little brother attempt to murder me.  So it turned into a mini war with those two suffocating me and in return, I would tickle them til they fell over.  Pretty soon about 10 kids were attacking me from all angles.  Their shrieks of laughter were so adorable, how could I resist?  I just couldn't I tell you.  So I let them attack me, rubbing their dirty fingers all over my face, hair, and clothes, and I tickled them all to death.  It was so fun.

I honestly just loved it.

I love that I am here in Mexico spending all my time with the cutest kids on the planet.

Day 28:  Success.


2 comments:

  1. Hey Brittan! Grandma Webb just showed me this. It's amazing that you're doing a blog! It was really fun to read this. How's Mexico? It seems like just yesterday you were getting ready to leave. I miss you! Have fun teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Brittan,

    I'm giving everyone your blog, I love it.

    ReplyDelete