Thursday, June 9

The Fair Otra Vez

When I was a young girl, I wrote a story called something like “Fortunately and Unfortunately” in which each page depicted something fortunate and something unfortunate that happened to the main character.  That book, written by my little girl self, must have been inspired considering that’s how my life has gone these days.

Unfortunately, I didn’t bring my camera to the fair first time around.

Fortunately, the fair around here lasts weeks.  Weeks, my friends.  Best place ever.

So we went like two more times.  The second time was just for the games and things, no rides involved, and not really any stories, either.

The third time, however, was awesome.  We walked over to the fair grounds around 4ish p.m. and started our adventures with some playing on the playground.  You know what’s crazy?  I think Miguel doesn’t know how to swing or something.  In fact, I feel like no one here knows how to swing, because all the kids on the swing set were just sitting there going back and forth like 3 centimeters.  So I had to show them what’s up.  I went as high as the swing set would allow, touching my toes to the leaves of the tree.  Everyone was watching me.  It was liberating for all, I tell you.  I tried to make Miguel go higher, but as I said, he didn’t really know how, plus he was too scared.  It was quite adorable. 


Then we played on the teeter-totter.  I wasn’t lying:  Best playground toy ever invented!




After that we wandered into a legit break dancing competition, with teams and everything.  They danced on a square of fabric in the street, surrounded by a crowd of cheering fans, with a live band as their support.  It was totally cool and they were all really good. 


Post break dance competition was the rodeo.  It was held in this little circle of dirt with a metal barred fence thing surrounding it.  We crowd members just pulled up a chair right in front of the bars.  Like, really, right in front of them.  I was resting my feet on the bottom bar, I was that close.  For the pre-show, the rodeo clown (is that even what he is called?  No sé, so for the purpose of this blog, that’s his name:  the clwon) asked for 12 volunteer children to come in the middle of the circle.  Miguel and Diego felt up to the challenge, so they joined the other daring little kidlets that awaited their fate in that circle of dirt.  The clown had them all stand in a circle, put their hands on the back of their necks, bend in half at the waist, and spin around RAPIDO!  RAPIDO!  MAS RAPIDO!  And after like 30 seconds of non-stop spinning like that, they would have to stand straight up without moving.  If they fell, or hobbled around too much, they were out.  It was SOOOOOOO FUNNY.  I was laughing my face off the whole time.  As uszch, I took a video and it won’t finish loading.  I give up on blogger.  Just ask me about it when I get home and I’ll show it to you.
Sesa y Jorge
Miguel y Diego

Then the cowboys came out.


Jenna, be jealous.
Just kidding.


Anyway, they were awesome.  But as I told you, we were sitting basically on top of the fence, right?  Well, when the bulls would come out, sometimes they would get freakishly close to the fence, and guess what.  Like everything else in this country, the safety standards for that fence were not exactly up to par, and any bull could fairly easily plow his way through it if he wanted.  So when they would buck off their rider, and then ram around, freaking out until they were lassoed down, they would usually run along the fence and all the people would get scared and back up.  I always just sat there because, you know, I’m invincible and all that.  But there was one bull who was very angry, and rough, and mean.  He threw off his rider, and then bucked his way all around the circle and tried ramming into the fence on the left side.  The lasso dudes missed like three times, so he was still going, and he was getting more and more upset.  And then he rammed his way over to our side and stopped directly in front of us.  Like DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF US.  Everyone backed up majorly of course, but I was seriously physically stuck in my chair, so I couldn’t back up, and you should have felt my heart beat right there.  I was legitimately scared.  It was about to kill me!  But then the lasso was around its neck and it was forced into the pen thing.  Fortunately.



That’s basically it as far as the rodeo goes.  Well, two more things.  One:  In the middle of it all, they took a break for a game in which the clown asked for more volunteers, but he wanted adult men.  They all had to chug a can of beer, sprint across the way to a bottle of coke, spin around it ten times, and then sprint back.  It was actually quite hilarious, despite the smell.  And, of course, I was thinking to myself, “This would never happen in Utah.  This is awesome.”  Number two:  The clown, as mentioned above, looked a little something like this:


And he directed the attention of the entire crowd to me on more than one occasion, one of them being about three seconds after this pic was taken.  That’s what I get for being the only American present.  It really is shocking how much attention I get, no matter where I go.  But I guess it kind of makes sense, because when I’m not with the other teachers, I am the ONLY white person I see.  Even in huge, crowded, busy places.  It’s kind of weird.

Anyway, after that it was time for the fair.  We rode all the same rides as the first night, only this time, it was me and Miguel as ride buddies so it was THAT MUCH BETTER, my friends.

The Dragon


Pre-ride fingers and toes

Pre-ride freaky faces
Okay, look at this one.  I was fortunate enough to have a pusher dude RIGHT NEXT TO ME!  Perfect picture opportunity.  And yes, that is cash stuffed between each of his fingers.


Notice white shirt man pushing with all his might.


I know it's blurry, but what do you expect, I'm on a roller coaster in the dark.  Just take note of man in blue walking along the track, pushing pushing pushing.



And my personal fav.  This is mid-ride people.  At the crucial crazy turning part.  We are trying to make the most of it with our facial expressions.  I think it's working.


Our beloved prizes from the stellar fair games.


No comments:

Post a Comment